In most cases, wisdom teeth usually erupt in your late teenage years but they can also develop right up until you are 30 years old.
Although most dentists will recommend removing them, especially if you have had issues with overcrowding in your mouth already, some people however decide against removal and opt to keep them.
Maintaining and caring for your wisdom teeth requires a lot more care and attention than your regular teeth and the position of the wisdom teeth in your gums make them predisposed to:
- Gum infections
- Impacted food
This means that although cleaning around your wisdom teeth is possible, they do require more oral hygiene tools than your regular toothbrush and dental floss.
Some helpful suggestions on proper cleaning techniques for your wisdom teeth are:
- Speaking to a dentist in Sydney and suggesting a good quality angular toothbrush. Angular toothbrushes, unlike regular toothbrushes, are effective in reaching the back-side of your wisdom teeth.
- Ensure you are brushing the “correct” way; use circular, up and down motions. Rotating your toothbrush in every direction possible.
- Cleaning along the gum lines is also important to stimulate the tissue as well as removing food debris that may have become lodged between the gum and tooth
- Flossing along the gum line on either side of the tooth will remove plaque build-up
- Rinsing with an antimicrobial mouth wash assists with targeting bacteria that are not accessible with flossing alone, and;
- Regular visits to your dentist to check on the health of your wisdom teeth are also vital in maintaining good overall oral health.
Because eruption of wisdom teeth can be quite painful in most cases, if you are experiencing any type of oral pain or swelling it is advisable that you seek assistance from your local Dentist as soon as possible.
The information contained in this article is intended to give you general information and it is not intended to replace professional medical advice. However, if you do want to receive professional advice regarding how to care for your wisdom teeth, it is advised that you contact the Wisdom Teeth Professionals in Sydney by giving Dr. Paulo Pinho a call on 1300 217 858.
Alternatively, if you would like to find out more information about wisdom teeth removal, feel free to browse our website. We have special dedicated sections with information about the cost of wisdom teeth removal, and wisdom tooth extraction.