Before the surgery is conducted, Dr. Pinho and his team of experts will explain to you on how to prepare for the extraction, and they will run a few tests to determine the best and most painless way to get it done.
Right before the procedure, you will be administered with local anaesthetics to numb the specific area where the tooth removal is going to take place. If you are removing more than one of your wisdom teeth, general anaesthesia may be used to help you go through the surgery with ease and comfort.
However, it is the post-surgery period that is going to be very crucial in determining how quick you can recover without any complications. To further help you recover after a wisdom tooth extraction procedure, here are a couple of things that you might need to do to speed up the healing process.
- Follow the instructions of your surgeon and take your painkillers as prescribed.
- Your mouth will be slightly numb after surgery so be extra careful not to bite the inside of your cheek, lips or tongue.
- Do not engage in strenuous activities, physical activity will only increase bleeding.
- Use an ice pack on the outside of your cheek during the first 24 hours so that you can reduce swelling.
- Try to avoid touching the area with your tongue or fingers.
- If you are a smoker, refrain from smoking for at least 24 hours after the surgery. Smoking causes the recovery to slow down and could contaminate your healing gums.
- Eat soft food, like pudding and soup for a couple of days. You can slowly add more solid foods to your diet as you recover.
- After the first day, you can try to reduce the swelling by gently rinsing your mouth several times a day with warm salt water.
- Avoid using a straw to drink. The sucking motion will loosen the blood clot and delay healing.
Different people will experience varying healing time but it is important that you follow these simple steps after the surgery.
When you visit us for a consultation at our wisdom teeth removal clinic in Sydney, we will have a deeper chat with you to help you understand and get a clearer idea about the important steps that you should take before, during and after the procedure.
If you are looking for an experienced oral surgeon in Sydney or a dental surgeon to help you with your wisdom teeth removal, take a trip down to our clinic and get your teeth examined by Dr. Pinho and if needed our oral surgeon. Book your next appointment today by calling 1 800 WISDOM or book online at www.wisdomteethremovalsydney.com.au