“When can I start brushing my teeth again?”
Well, the general advice would be to wait at least 24 hours after having your wisdom teeth removed but you can actually brush your teeth if you really want to, provided that you apply the proper techniques.
After the wisdom tooth extraction, there will be gauze covering the surgical area. This gauze will need to remain for at least 30 minutes but after it has been taken off you can brush your teeth at any time you want. Just be sure to be extra gentle and careful when you are doing it.
Of course, you won’t be brushing or applying ANY sort of pressure on the extracted area but you can still brush the rest of your teeth with relative ease.
Brushing Your Teeth
1) First of all, you are going to need an extra soft toothbrush so that it won’t be too harsh on the extracted area in case you accidentally bump it with the head of the brush.
2) Apply a very tiny amount of toothpaste onto the brush. Scrub teeth in small, very gentle, circular motions.
3) Be VERY cautious not to bump or brush any part where you have had your wisdom teeth removed. Take your time, there is no rush here.
4) Once you are done brushing, DO NOT spit or rinse your mouth like you usually would. Lean over the sink and slowly let the toothpaste foam fall out of your mouth naturally. Remember, do not spit.
5) Instead of sucking the water into your mouth, gently take a cup and pour water into it so that you can avoid suction.
6) Next, instead of gargling and swishing, gently tilt your head side to side to allow the water to clear off the foam in your mouth.
7) Let the water fall out of your mouth and be sure that you do not spit it out.
When you are done brushing your teeth, get a warm glass of water and add some salt into it. Gently rinse your mouth the same way you did before by tilting your head side to side, and avoid swishing or spitting.
The next time you are looking for expert advice and affordable wisdom teeth removal in Sydney, come visit us today to speak to our friendly staff and surgeons!
If you are looking for an experienced oral surgeon in Sydney or a dental surgeon to help you with your wisdom teeth removal, take a trip down to our clinic and get your teeth examined by Dr. Pinho and if needed our oral surgeon. Book your next appointment today by calling 1 800 WISDOM or book online at www.wisdomteethremovalsydney.com.au